Friday, January 31, 2014

Simple foods and Simple Thoughts to calm the complex mind

This week I have tried even more to use what is in the cupboards and pantry for meals.  Monday while cooking a simple dinner of veggies, chicken, and wild rice, I also took the time to make a pearl barley soup. Super simple, and made for the next day - a big workout day for the both of us. It was actually fairly delicious in its simplicity.

Take 6 cups of beef broth or one container, bring to a boil and add 3/4 cup of pearled barley.  Bring this down to a simmer, cover, and let it go for about 45 minutes.  Add in half of a diced onion, some carrot rounds, and a few spices. We are partial to cumin and paprika in all that we do, so that was gladly added to the pot.  Boil for another fifteen minutes or so till everything is tender.  Voila! done.  Serve with a piece of toast.

There has also been a little bit of forward movement in my fitness.  My weight seems to be somewhere around 165.  Hard to tell, but at least it is not around 170.  I am also enjoying the mini high I have after working out at the gym three times a week.  It helps alleviate some of my stresses from work, and clear my thoughts.  Work has been a source of stress and complication for sometime.  It is painfully obvious that this place is detrimental to my overall well being and forward progression. I never planned on staying here, but have found myself stuck because there is little to nothing that pays on the same scale. It is not great pay, in fact it is hardly good pay, but this region has a profound lack of jobs that pay between 12-20 an hour. I have kept a weathered eye on the horizon, so to speak, for new job opportunities.  In the last year and a half I have applied at nearly 100 different places.  Nothing has come of it. Until recently. 

I have  applied for a position that would not only double my pay, but would give me full benefits and actually challenge me. Open applications ended last Friday, and of last night they have eliminated 6 of the 30 applicants.  I am still in the running, and it is nerve wracking to say the least.  I tried to speak about myself in a positive light. Touch on the good and wonderful, and unique parts of myself.  Only time will tell if I can at least get the interview.  Right now that is my goal, get an interview. Till then I am trying to believe in Karma, and only send out positive things into the universe, act positively towards others, and simply keep an upbeat attitude. 

No comments: