Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Lets be honest

Lets be honest, I love food, and I REALLY love food. All that is food around me will most likely end up in my mouth.  It is as if I never grew up past that infantile stage of trying things with my mouth, and once I place it there and taste it... a ravenous predator takes over.  Ohm NOM NOM NOM.  Let it be said that you will never find the same person that is both ridiculously fit and in love with food. Yes they may say they are, but the truth is that they have a love-hate relationship with food.  They love it, but know that enjoying it makes them not fit, and thereby they hate it. 

I have struggled with my weight my whole life, which is a somewhat ironic statement for those that know me well. I have a great body image, I love my chunk and my curve, I love the way that my body is both taught and jiggly, I love when a bit is a bit and that is what it is. This is not to say tho, that I don't want to change some parts.  I want to be more fit and trimmer, simply cause I know it will help a lot of things. It will help with my life, my health, and my hobbies.  So how do I accomplish that?

Well lets start with some basics that I am not willing to compromise on.
1. I love food, and want to be able to eat what I want when I want, whether that is a chocolate cake or veggie lasagna.
2. I do not have the dedication to commit to working out in a gym two hours a day ad nauseum.
3. I like variation, I like to play, and I like that I don't have a six pack.

So this means that realistically if I want to make a change in my fitness, it isn't going to be by going on some fad diet, or doing some challenge.  (not knocking it for others, but I know myself)  Drinking protein shakes every day made from a concoction of chemicals in powder form and eliminating all dairy (or insert other food group) from my diet will last all of a week before I say "what the hell! Give me a chunk of cheese and some real food before I murder someone!"

So the way this is going to get done is by changing some of the inputs and outputs.  Inputs wise, I am trying to change the food we eat a bit. It just so happens that the best place to get the best input is from the garden. More Ohm nom noms. We are taking as many meals as we can back to the basics.  Lots of veggies, a small portion of meat on some, and some grain.  (that is a hard one for me and I am trying to work on cutting back my grain intake). 

Outputs are simple, I do derby twice a week (about 4-5 hours) and go to the gym for about 3 hours a week.  When the weather warms I will be swimming again twice a week. Nothing is set in stone, but things are getting tweaked here and there to hopefully make a difference.  I am also trying to remind myself to put as much energy into other things as I am into the garden. Love and luck!

No comments: