Monday, January 27, 2014

Wins, Wine and Wattles

What a fantastic weekend. Friday evening was the first bout of the season, and it was a resounding success. We played our nearest rivals in their 'grand opening season starting' game at their new facility. All of the negative emotions I had that were building up to this point, I thankfully shoved aside, and focused on my goals for the bout. While I don't believe I accomplished it to the fullest, I do feel that I did well with my goal of being a good leader on the track.  Perhaps best summed up by this chance photo of me talking to my line up during a timeout.  We had about thirty seconds to go over our strategy, and make sure that we knew where each other would be.

It was a good match, and our girls did admirably.  Not only did we win, but we stayed together, played well, and had a great time. I may be officially jealous of our opponents practice space.  Being a smaller and less established team then us, it simply baffles me how they are able to support such a large overhead. But, as a good friend points out, being envious is not a suitable use of time.  They will either be unable to sustain themselves at the facility, or they will and we can learn something from them.  Sometimes I do not want to be the bigger person, I don't want to be the person that bites my tongue and offers only encouragement.  Sometimes I want to be the petulant immature gal that feels envy and says nasty things.  It seems like it would be so much easier. 

After the bout I went with a few friends to Seattle and spent the evening drinking wine and dancing at one of our usual hangouts. It is funny to call it our usual hangout when it is so far away, but we make a point of going once a month and just being us and doing our own thing.  While it was a lot of fun, it did mean that I didn't get home till about 3:30 Saturday morning, and my body was exhausted.  The boy and I did some shopping, and some minor chores.... ok... actually he did most of the work, I just napped in the glorious afternoon sunshine.  That evening it was off to the neighbors for a little friendly get together, replete with more wine.

Over dinner they told us they were going to be trimming up the apple trees in the orchard. I quickly jumped in and said I would love to have the long thin sticks they would be removing. It would be perfect for the wattle fence I want to install along the bottom of the garden to keep the bunnies out.  YAY!












a

No comments: