Friday, May 09, 2008

Turn Point Light station Update


Alright, so I am leaving on Monday from Boulder and driving to Omak, I am hoping to make it in two days. But I am leaving time and space for 3 days. So the picture above will be my 'home' for the next 4 months. Granted my view is going to be more like this:



As I will be staying on the camp host pad just above the lighthouse.

Funny, during a dinner with Marc, Julie, and Tom last night, we were talking about me writing a novel or a travel essay etc... and of course the topic of titles came up. For some reason we found the following hilarious and catchy "Drunk at the Lighthouse"

hahahahaha... all that that implies is kinda funny, especially since I most likely will not have any alcohol on the island.


Alright... back to packing. Okay that's a lie, I have been packed for some time, so now I am just at the point of re-arranging all of my packed materials.

~Nic

3 comments:

Al46 said...

Welcome to TPLS,The pad above the house was the garage or if you are up the hill farther, the fuel dump.

I am sure the houes and propperty is deteriorating rapidly due to lack of maintenance by the Parks, the last I saw the station was in 1987 and it really look bad. when I left in 1968 the entire station was in great shape both inside and outside with all systems in working order, It broke my heart to see that it was abandonded and had been used by whale watchers who just camped out inside the house destroying everything.

Your suggested title may not be to much of a streach can assure you there was never a shortage of achohol on the station, however there have been stories of "ghosts" around the station, given the facts that more than one incident has ocurred, sever illness, miscarrage, threats of violence, wife swapping, ship jumping and bootlegging. enjoy the island ther is mor to see than just the station.

Sway said...

Well, you will be happy to know then that a lot has changed. Just last year they re-opened it up to the public after extensive rebuilding and stabilizing. Actually we are doing a similar project over here on Patos right now. (I am on Patos until tomorrow then going to Turn Point). You should come out and visit, I think you would be impressed by the changes... and maybe we can repair some of that heartbreak. Trust me.. I know how bad it hurts... I look at the photos of the once beautiful victorian house that used to sit at Patos... that now sits bulldozed off the bank.

Anyways, I would love to hear some stories, and I will always have a fresh pot of coffee on. I am an islander at heart and always will be. (raised in Olga, on Orcas)

Al46 said...

I did search a little more and was able to see some of the projects and progress your team has completed, very well done, and you are correct it does help perhaps in the near future we will come by as you would assume there are some really great memories including the fog, the Orcas playing in the kelp 20 feet from the point you get the idea. We lived in the lower unit on the left looking up from the point. As for Patos we used to visit them often by boat in fact we almost did not make it back to Prevost one April when a storm blew in while we were on our way from such a visit. Years ago my wife and I looked into obtaining a lease with the idea of a B&B.
Keep up the good work and thanks.