Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Excerpts from my Drive

So later on I will update this replete with pictures, however here is some of my journal enterings during the day and a half drive up here.

First off, some of the tallies and notes I made along the way:

7 Antelope Herds Wyoming, with 3 individual males

Metal statues I saw on ridges or out in the middle of nowhere:
Colorado: a Buffalo
Wyoming: Horse, Horse and Rider, Sleeping cowboy on a horse, uhm... a sitting elk?, an upright cowboy on a horse with an American flag, the best one would have to be the triceratops located between a massive power plant, oil fields, and a Dinosaur museum
Montana: none....unless you count the derelict tractor left on the ridge.
Idaho: a Miner with a raised pick and a headlamp
Washington: 2 mules with hats in the middle of the town of Reardon, and my two favorites are the 6 native american figures dancing on the plateau and the sasquatch on the hill.

Alright, now to the various journal entries:

Wyoming

- For all of the bad drivers in the city limits, I am always thankful when I am back to sharing the blacktop with Semi's, Rv's, and farm equipment.

Montana
- followers of Jack Kerouac may have a special place in their hearts for route 66, however, that place in my heart is reserved for I90.

- Following the yellowstone river with the kayak on top makes me want to do a big trip kayaking it.

May 13th, Lewis and Clark Caverns State Park
It's 5 am and the dogs are agitated. Soft low grumbles come from deep within their bellies. I wipe some condensation off the window and there, about 200 yards off, silouhetted by the early dawn are a few elk. At first I can barely discern what they are, black ghosts shifting in the prairie, then a male raises his head high. Of course my walk with the dogs scares the last of them off, and now I am left gretting the morning to the soft coo of the mourning dove. There are clouds creeping in from the west over the mountains..... It's amazing to think that I may be looking at the same sunset, or sitting in the same spot as the Lewis and Clark expedition, this is why I live, not for the cities.

No comments: