Monday, February 10, 2014

A win is a win

This weekend was an interesting set of milestones.  Or in my case 1/4 mile stones.  Saturday morning I woke up and stepped on the scale, like I usually do, to find that my weight was somewhere around 160.  It is hard to tell since it is one of the standard scales with the dial, not a digital read out.  If this is really the case then it means I have made some progress since a month ago.  Structurally I have lost about 8 pounds.  YAY!  The working out is paying off, if only a little bit.  Still, if I want to see any real change in my physique, I need to not only continue what I am doing, but up the ante. 

Another positive side effect of the working out, in the roller derby bout that I had Saturday night I played in nearly half of the game, and didn't notice any tiredness, any fatigue, or any other issues. In general I was under control (mental stuff aside), and my body did well. This is in part because of the team we were playing -they are clean/safe players- but it is also in part because of my own fitness.  I took a few BIG hits that sent me flying through the air spread eagle, but it was just a bounce and roll and I was back on my feet no problem.

Last nights dinner was simple and easy, and I am kind of proud of it.  One of the local grocery stores has started a bulk buy section.  A perfect place for me to find whole grains, beans, and other things that are silly to buy in one cup increments.  There, in a new plexi-glass bin was Forbidden Rice, which is something that I used to eat when I was in California.  A dark purple almost black rice that is very nutty, and said to be a super food packed with more of the good stuff per grain than any other rice.  This rice has so much nutty flavor and texture, that a pad of butter is all that is needed in rounding out the taste.  I cooked up a batch of forbidden rice, some simple vegetables, and had the guy do a pork tenderloin.  Round it all out with a Spire Dark and Dry Hard Cider, and it was a perfect meal.

No comments: