Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Life continues at the Light House


10 July.
I intended to sleep in a little bit this morning, but the sound of voices on the porch woke me up at 7:15. I have had a few late night visitors in the past, but never early morning ones. Today the museum is supposed to be closed, so i am going to do some work around the property, hike the trails etc... My usual regime of sweeping everything and mopping. I plan to do a little bit of laundry, use that water to mop the deck, and whatever is left over to scrub the stairs. I’ve cleared 6 inches back of grass along the sidewalk and plan to keep it trimmed. I think Randy Morgenson expressed it clearly during his years as a back-country ranger. Although the area belongs to the greater public, it’s hard not to feel a sense of ownership and responsibility for the land. Certain trees become my familiars and as I walk past them I affectionally touch their bark as I would hug a friend. Each one different, each one brings a different sensation to my fingertips. The pitchy and gnarled up Douglas Fir reminds me of an old wise gentlemen, full of stories, piss and vinegar. Parts are broken or missing, rarely growing symmetrically, scarred by battles with fire. However there he stands a sentinel on the point, whispering his secrets only a patient ear can hear. Standing alongside is the beautiful old Madrona. Every year she sheds her skin and looks new, fresh, and radiant as the days of her youth. All is not vanity as she stores the knowledge and battles of the year in the dense, thick, hard wood that forms her skeleton. Her leaves may fall, forming neat piles at her feet, but still her beauty is strong and magnificent. I am reminded of one of my most prized pieces of jewelry. A necklace of Madrona ‘beads’ on a string that my grandmother collected for me. When the ‘berries’ are dried they resemble the dark red of the Madronas’ bark. Rich and warm to the touch, a gentle reminder to the beauty found in nature. I am not sure what time of year is the best to find Madrona berries, but it wouldn’t hurt to go and check and see if the ones on the property have any for collecting. I already had to improvise earlier when the arm of my glasses fell off. The screw disappeared somewhere, so I found a piece of wheat stalk that fit through the whole and tied it off.
11 July,
News about Percy is ‘No idea what is wrong’. They did the x-rays, a radiograph and an electro-cardio-gram. All they were able to discover was a slow heartbeat while at the vets office. It’s a little frustrating not knowing what is wrong or how to fix it. I had a late night writing another story for my class. I felt like I was lacking inspiration, until I met 'L' the woman who helps take care of the property and the outhouse.

No comments: