Thursday, July 17, 2008

Turn Point, Stuart Island



Excerpts from my journal :
STUART ISLAND
4th July, Day 1
First day of the new journal. After many false starts we were finally on our way to Stuart Island. Percy had recovered from his apparent bout with heat exhaustion, the weather had improved, and the boat was loaded. We left the Orcas dock around 7:20 and arrived at the county dock in Prevost harbor nearly 2 hours later. As we pulled up the Bernquests were on the dock along with their sons and friends. So many helping hands ready to help us offload all of the furniture and my goods. They were intent upon giving me a fully furnished house, well, I have it.
A lot of visitors came by today, but that comes as no big surprise, it’s a holiday weekend. i am now spending the sunset alone with my dogs. I am mesmerized by the tidal whirlpools along the point. I see a life wrapping around the core. I am only distracted by the sharp gutteral noises from Roses belly. I hope it’s only indegestion and not something that wakes her, and thus me, up in the middle of the night.
It’s 9:05 pm and I am contemplating sleep while Orcas contemplates what the fireworks show will be like tonight. I love fireworks shows, and the parade. I love all of that community on the island and I will miss it. Sigh, oh well, instead I will stare into Canada for another half hour, think of things to do tomorrow, and then go to bed in my new home. My ‘show’ today has already come and gone. I watched a pair of adult eagles and their juvenile fishing in unison during the tide rip. I hopefully captured a few good photos, if not there is always tomorrow or the next day.

No comments: